CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 15, 2006

So you may wonder.....

Why I am currently not on a fire.... I know that most of people who may read this have seen the news lately and all that they can talk about is a wildfire in Southern CA. So why am I not there? Well there are a couple of reasons why we may not have been dispatched to the sawtooth fire.

1. The fire is on California State land (CDF) and well to be quite honest they tend to run things differently. CA has a lot of prisioners and nothing to do with them, so they make fire crews out of them. yes there are lots of CON crews here in CA. We run into them quite a bit, but when a fire is on CDF land they tend to use all the con crews that they can get so sometimes they don't use as many other crews as a fire on forest service land would

2. We were on days off when the fire started so we didn't get dispatched. They may have more than enough crews to staff the fire but becuase of the fire behavior they may not be able to stop it no matter how many crews are there working

3. They want to keep some crews available in case any new fires start.........

Ok so those are a few reasons why you see huge fires on the news and I am not there. it is all a game of waiting and sometimes luck when it comes to getting dispatches.

In other things i am enjoying having days off. If we don't get a fire today we will have had 4 days off and it has been nice. I visited laura for 2 days and have done nothing at all the last two. well I guess I did laundry and cleaned my cabin.

So I have finally posted pictures of some of the fires that we were just on. The first picture is of the Twinsprings fire. we were positioned away from the fire while the commanders aka our bosses decided how to attack it.

Next is the same fire at night, we were trying to figure out where the best place to stop it was..but the rain did it for us.

Finally is roberto taking cover from the rain.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Did you do anything special during your days off?

Stephie said...

I see you're out again.... who names these fires anyway?? the Jack Ass fire?! what's up with that?