As promised I said that I would tell you all a little bit about the fires that I just got back from....well anyway the first fire that we went to was called that Angora Fire....it was located near lake tahoe. I am sure that most of you saw or read about it on the news. It was probably got the most media attention of all the fires that I have been on....since a bunch of house ended up burning...but if you have ever been to tahoe you will realize that the houses are in the forest and have tons of trees around them and even though it sucks that the houses burnt down sometimes you have to realize that when you build your house in the forest stuff life fires can happen
Anyway we got to the fire on the second day of the fire, after all the houses had burnt so it was pretty crazy. Anyway we helped prep some dozer line which is what we are doing in the photos below.
The second day was when things got kind of crazy. The fire did what we call "blowing up". Pretty much means that it got over the line and was running out of control for a little while. It was kind of crazy because everyone pretty much left the line and got out of the area in case the fire did anything else. when we noticed that things were changing somyself and 2 others hiked down to the trucks to move them in case the fire started moving our way. anyway it was interesting to me to be able to watch everything that was going on. The pictures from the previous post are when the fire was blowing up.
The craziest thing about this fire was that there was so much media around. this fire was right next to a town and it attracted people like crazy.....there were photogaphers hiding in the woods, walking on the fire line not wearing the proper clothing and all sorts of stuff. it was funny but annoying at the same time.
well stay tuned for more on the other fires
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
The Fires Part 1
Posted by Amy at 11:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Idiot media people! Sounds like the fire was interesting though.
I never realized that fire could be so unpredictable. I really enjoy looking at the pictures.
I kept waiting to see your pic from the annoying media people.
Post a Comment