CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Alaska

Well I made it to Alaska, I am not to Fairbanks yet, which is where I will be living for the time being, but I am in Tok, which is where there is a junction of a bunch of highways, well two...you can go south to anchorage or north to fairbanks.

I broke down and stayed in a hotel last night, I decided that I was back in the US and that rooms weren't as expensive as in Canada, they weren't but they still aren't that cheap. I can only imagine how high they jack up their prices once it is tourist season.

well the drive has been long, bumpy, and desolate. A lot of the places along the highway are closed for the winter so that means that there are not many people around. I had to pay attention to when the next services would be to make sure that I didn't run out of gas, anytime that I got to around a half tank I had to start thinking of how far it would be to the next place for gas and then I had to guess if they would be open on the winter or not. it was a good thing that I had a book that I friend told me about, it has some advertisments in it along with driving tips and it usually told me which stops were open in the winter. The most I paid for gas was 1.33/liter. I don't know what that equals in gallons I figure I will just think of it this way so I don't have to think about how much it was....that is until I add up my reciepts and start to cry when I realize how much money gas costs me

so seeing a moose was nothing, the day after I saw that I saw, caribou, mountain sheep, bison, coyotes on the road, yes on the road.

well time to get back in the car and finish off the drive.

yes I have taken pictures, but don't know where the cable is for my camera at the current moment

8 comments:

AJ said...

My step sister, step brother, and nieces are in Fairbanks until at least June. They live on the base. I'm jealous you'll be so close to them, I miss them, I've only seen them once in the last year:(

Glad to hear you made it okay!

AJ said...

PS-To figure out litres to gallons, multiply by 3.785...but then you have to convert to American $ too for the Canada ones, which I think means multiplying by another 1.10 or so....yikes!

Joe and Elaine said...

My gosh, I cannot believe how quick you have made the trip. Joe and I are heading for Australia the end of the month, yikes!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you made it to Alaska. Sounds like it's beautiful and a bit scary at the same time. Not a place to run out of gas that's for sure. Can't wait to hear more.

AJ said...

If you run into anyone on the base that has the same last name as my maiden name, that's my cousin who is also my step-brother-in-law (it's complicated) and my step-sister and neices are also up there!

Laura said...

Yeah for Alaska! I can't wait to see all the pics!!

Anonymous said...

glad you made it safely. I'd be staying in the hotel, too. you're more of a hard ass than me though.

Danielle Michelle said...

Just think of the money you'll make this summer....Glad to hear it's going well! Can't wait to see your wildlife pics!