I was so close to going to my first fire in Alaska yesterday.
we worked late until like 7:30 becasue of lightning and just wanted to make sure that nothing popped.
Then I went to ride my bike home and the wind was outreagous. I am pretty sure that one point we were pedaling and not going anywhere.
Then I had been home for about 20 minutes when the phone rings first thing I hear "are you fit to fly there is a fire in the Ruby dump and we are sending you and the helicopter"
so I was thinking sweet. I fuigured that since it was in the dump that all we would do is drop water on it. I ride my bike back to work...at lightning fast speed since the wind was at my back this time. Find out that there are already jumpers on the way but they are just going to have them recon the fire.
we are just about ready to go when we get a call from the town saying that they had it taken care of and that they didn't need our help. I was kind of bummed and I think that the pilot was as well since he is new to fire and has never flown on a fire.
But the good news is that I am also working today, but it is freezing out and I don't think that we will get any fires today although it is windy and we did get lots of lightning yesterday. I hope that it gets warmer soon.
I am sure we will get a fire that we have to take action on soon, or at least I tell myself that.
Saturday, May 24, 2008
So so close
Posted by Amy at 5:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment